Have you ever tried gooey cakes? It's an extremely fattening Paula Deen recipe, but my family raves over them. I cooked the pumpkin version a couple of years ago, and they've been requested ever since. The link will take you to the recipe, but here it is for your convenience.
[Completed cakes. We eat them like brownies. I'm obviously no food photog.]
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes (We call them pumpkin gooey bars)
- 1 (18 and 1/4 ounce) package of yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 8 more tablespoons of butter, melted (this is sounding VERY healthy!)
- 1 (16 ounce box) of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make cake by combining cake mix, egg, and the first 8 tablespoons of butter. Combine thoroughly with a electric mixer
3. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a slightly greased 13x9 baking pan
4. Next make the filling by combining the cream cheese and pumpkin. Beat with the mixer until smooth
5. Add the eggs, vanilla, and more butter and beat some more.
6. Then add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and beat more.
7. Then spread that filling over the patted down cake.
8. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes
And that's it! Make sure you don't over bake because it's supposed to be gooey in the middle. Although my pictures don't do them justice, they are delicious!
Also, Paula has variations of the recipe on the website. You can make a peanut butter gooey cake using chocolate cake mixture. Yum!
In super exciting news, we had today off of school for a snow day!