This has been on my 101 in 1001 list for quite a while. It has always been something I wanted to do, but have never quite mustered up the courage to do it. 2013 is the year this is going to happen!
Why donate blood? People donate blood for various reasons. Giving blood can:
- Make you feel good about yourself
- Support your local community and hospital by enlarging the blood supply utilized for a variety of needs and emergencies
- Help you "pay it forward" if you or someone you know has ever needed blood transfusions in the past
These are just a few reasons why giving blood is helpful. Rare blood types are even more in need!
What happens when you give blood? According to AABB, in one hour you give one unit of blood. From this unit:
- You could save multiple lives
- Red blood cells can be extracted to use in trauma or surgical patients
- The liquid part of your blood, plasma, can be used with patients who have clotting difficulties
- The platelets from your blood are often used in cancer and transplant patients because they assist in clotting the blood
As a first time donor, I am not quite sure what to expect. The American Red Cross has an abundance of information! This information for first time donors is going to be a frequent reference. As a vegetarian, I hope that my iron levels won't hold me back.
Go the the ARC website to find a blood drive or donation center near you!
And as a reminder, the February recap will go live on March 4! Go forward and save a life!