This is the large frame I decided to use for the 1914 US map. The blue mat came with framing that beautiful duck photo. I had to trim the mat a little and decided to use the roll of cork for ease. I would have had to use almost an entire pack of cork squares, so the roll was perfect here.
[Sorry! I just can not get Blogger to rotate this]
And ta da! First and centerpiece of project done! It didn't take that long. I ended up buying the rest of the frames (and had to get another set of tiles and another roll of cork) from Michael's on sale.
[Final US map in theformer "duck" thrifted frame]
If I would have had more time and energy, I would have trimmed the mat more on the top and bottom. I added the mat because the dark frame with the brown cork was just too brown. I may still go back and trim that down.
[I used colored pins because that's what I already had. I only marked where we have been together. We realized we have so much more to explore!]
[US map again, South America, and Australia]
[Europe and North America]
I chose to include North America since the US map would not include places like Canada or Aruba (where we "eloped").
[Europe framed in the former thrifted hideous 3-D flower frame]
[North America in the former thrifted creepy girl frame]
[Vintage maps don't always have every location, so I hot-glued some locales that weren't there or visible on pin tops]
[Africa map in a Michael's frame (which D especially liked). Not backed with cork since it wasn't visible. I saved money and used cardboard from the original frame]
[Asia map in a Michael's frame]
This is definitely my least favorite. It just didn't turn out well. The frame is crap. It's a perfect size, but it was cheap and a bad make for this project. I also got a bit off on my cork cutting. I want to re-frame this one.
[South America in a Michael's frame. Probably one of my favorites due to the perfect fit]
[Australia, etc. in a Michael's frame. Hope to mark New Zealand off this one in a few years!]
And there you are! We're still not 100% sure where we want to hang them yet. But I'll be sure to post pictures. In all, the project cost around $150 max. It was probably closer to $120. I probably could have researched other ideas for finding vintage maps, but I like that most of these are different sizes and have different looks.